LANAP is a form of laser gum disease treatment used for patients suffering from periodontal disease. The LANAP process is the only FDA-approved laser treatment used to treat gum disease.
Who can benefit from LANAP laser treatments? Ideal candidates experience the following symptoms:
- Red and swollen gums
- Bleeding gums
- Loose teeth
- Receding gum line
- Bone Loss
The procedure itself is performed with the help of a local anesthetic to reduce any discomfort. A tiny laser fiber is then inserted between the tooth and gum, ridding the area of bacteria and infection. Your dentist will then clear away any tartar or plaque and apply the laser once more for a more thorough cleaning and finally seal the pocket. As only local anesthetics are used, you may experience slight discomfort and numbness following the procedure, but can otherwise return to your daily activities.
The highly advanced laser allows for precise handling from your dentist which makes for a minimally invasive treatment requiring no cuts or incisions. The LANAP laser also provides patients with a quicker recovery time, little to no postoperative pain, and the stimulation of tissue regeneration. This process has even been known to reverse gum disease and eliminate unwanted pockets.
LAPIP, or Laser Assisted Peri-Implantitis Procedure, is the new revolution in treating dental implants which have suffered damage.
Peri-implantitis is very similar to periodontitis in healthy teeth, only affecting dental implants instead. It results from poor oral care or can be result of certain medical conditions. Also similar to periodontitis, it can cause the loss of bone, gum recession, swelling, and bleeding.
The aim of the LAPIP process is to prevent further damage that could lead to the death of the implant. The method is an extension of the LANAP protocol and was customized to work with the implants after the significant improvement seen during surgery on natural teeth. This advanced laser has the ability to target the diseased tissues while leaving the surrounding, healthy tissue untouched.
First, your dentist will numb the area using local anesthetics. The implant is then thoroughly cleaned and disinfected. A clot is then created to allow the newly cleaned area to heal properly and restore the healthy tissue. The procedure is safe, quick, and relatively painless. The LAPIP method requires no cutting or grafting of any kind, so you may get back to your daily activities right away. Some swelling and slight bleeding may occur shortly after the procedure, but this is a normal part of the healing process.
- Faster Healing – LANAP® is minimally invasive and allows the body to recover and heal more quickly.
- Less Discomfort – Patients report less discomfort during and after surgery.
- Minimal Recovery Time – Most patients can immediately return to their daily routine.
- Little to No Gum Recession – Because the procedure doesn’t require cutting the gums, there is less risk of recession and your beautiful smile is maintained.
- Reduction in Gum Inflammation and Bleeding – The PerioLase® MVP-7™ targets inflammatory bacteria without injuring healthy tissue.
- Saves Teeth – Patients can keep their natural teeth sometimes even when the teeth have been deemed ‘hopeless’ with traditional treatments. Keeping your natural teeth has been linked to a longer lifespan!
- Safe for patients with Health Concerns – LANAP® protocol is safe for patients with health concerns such as diabetes, HIV, hemophilia, or those taking medications such as Plavix or aspirin.